In the financial year April 2017 to March 2018, Glebe Junior School received £170,214. This money is used to provide interventions and support for children who have been in receipt of free school meals during the last 6 years, Looked after Children, adopted and vulnerable children.
We have a clear process for identifying relevant interventions for different children, through regular meetings of our Inclusion Team which includes headteacher, SENCo, governor and other relevant staff. All teachers contribute to the review.
For a full breakdown of the use of the Pupil Premium money, please see Pupil Premium Provision Map 2017-2018
- We have funded 2 sessions of Forest Schools each week, including training for staff and maintenance of wooded area.
- Up to 16 children attend each group on a rota. This includes in the summer term, sessions for Y2 children who are identified by the infant schools as needing additional support with transition.
- In Y3 we have funded additional Teaching Assistant time in Autumn term to support children to reach the expected Key Stage 1 outcomes.
- In Y3 and Y4 we run additional phonics sessions for identified groups who need a further boost with their letters and sounds.
- We have funded intervention programmes for groups of Y3, Y4, Y5 and Y6 children to further develop their reading and writing skills.
- We employ two high quality Higher Level Teaching Assistants for 4 afternoons a week each to release teachers for additional booster and support work.
- Out of school, morning or afternoon, booster is run for small groups of 4 to 6 children for reading, writing or maths in all year groups.
- Homework club – a Teaching Assistant provides after school support for parents with their children in the IT suite.
- We have employed a full time Specialist Teaching and Learning Assistant for Behaviour as a Behaviour Support Assistant to ensure the learning of all children is not disrupted and the most vulnerable are able to fully access education and make good progress.
- We provide Positive Play and Circle Time for identified children to support with mental health and emotional issues, such as bereavement, separation or divorce anxiety, health issues and relationship concerns.
Staff are released to attend Team Around the Child and Child Protection meetings, we fully engage with all outside agencies.
- To promote attendance, we employ a Teaching Assistant to work with children who struggle to attend to address any concerns they or their families may have and we fund stickers and prizes. This is focused on children whose attendance falls below 90% or have a pattern of poor attendance.
- Financial support is given for school trips and visits to ensure all children can participate and fully engage in the curriculum.
- We run and subsidise our Morning Club, providing breakfast and child care from 7.45am including pupils from nursery and the infant schools and provide free individual or family places as required.
- We financially support our After School Club to ensure continued availability of out of school care for local families, including pupils from nursery and the infant schools.
- Where appropriate we support families with uniform, PE kit, and additional equipment to enable all children to take full part in education without embarrassment.
The impact of all interventions is closely monitored within Glebe by all staff to ensure all children reach their potential. It can be difficult to fully identify the impact of individual interventions, as most children receive several different areas of support. However, we have seen improvement in attendance and anecdotally, happier children and a much improved attitude to learning due to the pastoral support. Academic interventions are carefully analysed for progress compared to the rest of class and it is seen that progress is at least as good and in many cases better.
We continue to review our practice and are always seeking ways to address areas of need. If you have any suggestions, ideas or comments, please contact us on 01773 811304.
Developing successful lives
We value, honesty, respect and fulfilment
Chair of Governors
Headteacher - Mr Steve Watson
Glebe Junior School